Malpas Court

Malpas-Court-Boardroom

Malpas Court is a Tudor style mansion building designed by Thomas Henry Wyatt and built between 1834 and 1838 for Thomas Prothero, agent to the Morgan family of Tredegar House.  

The gardens were finely planted with terraces on the front with views over rolling countryside.

Thomas Prothero was born in Usk, circa 1780, and became an agent for Sir Charles Morgan (Lord Tredegar) as well as deputy sheriff and treasurer of the county of Monmouth and town clerk for Newport.  

Prothero and his business partner, Thomas Powell, became the principle coal exporters in south Wales and the Prothero family lived at Malpas Court from 1838 until 1916.   

During World War II, Malpas Court was used as a depot and became a rest centre and in 1946 it was bought by Newport Borough Council and the grounds were developed into a housing estate. 

Malpas Court became a Grade II listed building in 1997 and was brought back into council care in 1998. 

Conferences

Malpas Court has rooms for conferences, meetings, presentations and training and has disabled access and ample car parking.

There are picnic tables in the gardens and catering is available or guests can use the on-site café.

Contact 

Malpas Court
Oliphant Circle
Newport
NP20 6AD

Tel: +44 (0)1633 233670

Emailkaren.harley@newport.gov.uk

Facilities 

• Sound equipment can be provided

• OHP and screen – in drawing room / library

• Projector and screen

• WiFi access

• Disabled access

• Bus stop opposite – number 19 bus from city centre

• Refreshments and catering available

Download the Malpas Court booking form (pdf) 

A summary of the spaces available, with capacity in various set up arrangements. 

  Room

   Theatre         

  Classroom       

   Boardroom  

  Drawing room         

 50

           16

17

  Library

 20

 8

12

  Drawing room

  and Library

 70

24

 29

  Conservatory

 

 

8

  Room 14
  (U shape  only)

          15