Alcohol & Entertainments


OFF Sales of Alcohol – Requirement to be Sold in Sealed Vessels

If your premises licence authorises the sale by retail of alcohol for consumption off the premises (this will be detailed on both part A and part B of your premises licence), any off sales you make from your premises must be made in fully sealed vessels.

It is illegal to sell an off sale in an open vessel.

For further advice email 

The Licensing Act 2003 sets out the law relating to alcohol sales, public entertainment, the exhibition of films and performances of plays and the sale of hot food and drink after 11pm.

Newport City Council, as the licensing authority, uses the following objectives to make sure licences meet the public interest: 

  • the prevention of crime and disorder

  • the prevention of public nuisance

  • ensuring public safety

  • the protection of children from harm

Premises licence - needed for the sale and supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and the provision of late night refreshment.

Personal licence - allows an individual to supply, or to authorise the supply of alcohol from an establishment with a premises licence.

Club premises certificate - required by clubs offering activities from premises to which public access is restricted and alcohol is supplied other than for profit.

Temporary event notice - a temporary event notice (TEN) can authorise a licensable activity at a small scale one off event. 

Licensing policy 

Download the Licensing Act 2003 - Statement of Policy 2015 (pdf)

The council must review the 2011 Statement of Licensing policy (pdf) every five years.  

In accordance with section 5(1) of the Licensing Act 2003, Newport City Council as the licensing authority has a statutory obligation to determine and publish a policy with respect to the exercise of its licensing functions prior to each consecutive five year period. 


Email the licensing team at