Disabled person's travel pass

A disabled persons concessionary travel pass is issued to people in Newport and Monmouthshire who are:
  • blind or partially sighted OR
  • profoundly or severely deaf OR
  • without speech OR
  • have reduced ability to walk or are unable to walk OR
  • are without arms or have a long-term loss of use of both arms OR
  • have a learning disability OR
  • are unfit to drive for medical reasons

Monmouthshire residents must request a disabled persons travel pass application from their local one stop shop

Companion bus pass

A companion bus pass is issued to people who meet the criteria for a disabled persons’ concessionary travel pass and who are disabled to the extent that they may on occasion need help from a companion to use public transport. 

3 July 2019

The online application form is being updated and is currently unavailable, please try again in a few days

Download eligibility guidance (pdf)

Using your bus pass

You can travel free of charge on almost all local bus services in Wales and, in some cases, to towns just over the border in England.

You are the only person allowed to use your bus pass.

If you allow someone else to use it, your pass could be cancelled and may also lead to legal action.

Travel using your bus pass is subject to the normal regulations and conditions of the bus operators.

Your pass does not give you additional rights or entitle you to be carried in preference to other passengers.

The council accepts no liability for the failure of any bus service to operate or of any operator to accept your bus pass for travel.

If your pass is not accepted contact the passenger transport team for assistance.

Lost, stolen or damaged?

Keep your pass in a safe place where it cannot be bent, twisted or damaged.

If your pass is lost or damaged a replacement pass will be issued at a cost of £5.50. 

If your pass has been stolen and you have a crime number there is no charge, please call (01633) 656656 to arrange a replacement.


Contact the bus pass team at Newport City Council.