Belle Vue Park opened in 1894 and has features typical of a Victorian public park, including conservatories, pavilion, bandstand and rockeries.
Belle Vue Park is a Green Flag award-winner!
The park can be accessed from Cardiff Road, Belle Vue Lane and Waterloo Road.
See the location of Belle Vue Park
The Belle Vue Park restoration project restored park buildings and recreated the original planting scheme and was completed in 2003.
Watch the short YouTube film to find out more about the restoration of Belle Vue park.
Belle Vue Park opens at 6am, view 2018 park closing times.
Enjoy food and drink at the tearooms at Belle Vue Park pavilion while you relax and enjoy the view.
Charges are payable between 6am and 4pm each day:
- up to two hours = £1.00
- up to five hours = £3.00
- over five hours = £5.00
Buses run frequently on Cardiff Road and stop outside the park.
Visit Newport Transport for details.
Weddings and room hire
The newly restored pavilion, conservatory and bandstand are beautiful venues for weddings, parties, meetings and other events.
Rare trees and shrubs
Belle Vue Park contains a number of rare specimens.
In early spring the Himalayan Magnolias produce huge goblet-shaped pink flowers and the branches of the Judas Trees can be seen covered with clusters of rose-lilac flowers in May.
In June and July the Tulip Tree produces its distinctive orange tulip-shaped flowers.
Autumn brings glorious leaf colour including the clear yellow leaves of Ginko Biloba and the glorious crimson leaves of the Liquidambar.
A history of Belle Vue Park
The land on which the park stands was a gift to the town from Lord Tredegar in 1891 to provide a public park for the people of Newport.
An open competition to design and construct the park was won by Thomas Mawson (1861-1933) of Windermere who went on to design many gardens in Cumbria, including Holker Hall and Rydal Hall as well as Dyffryn Botanic Garden in Cardiff.
In November 1892 Lord Tredegar performed the ceremony of cutting the first sod; construction began and the park opened on 8 September 1894. The final cost of the Park is recorded as £19,500.
Additional features were added including the Gorsedd Stone Circle in 1896 for the National Eisteddfod held in Belle Vue park in 1897.
The bowling greens were opened in 1904 and a tea house added in 1910.
In 1924 the adjoining house and grounds of Belle Vue House came into the council’s ownership and the additional 11 acres of land were absorbed into the park, which now extends to 26 acres.
Friends of Ornamental Parks
The Friends of Newport Ornamental Parks was set up in 2006 to work with Newport City Council on the management of Belle Vue and Beechwood parks.
Newport City Council, Civic Centre, Newport NP20 4UR
Telephone: (01633) 656656